The Beatley Central Library is seeking enthusiastic, tech-savvy candidates for a Librarian II position. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a busy, main library. Under the supervision of the Adult Services Manager, this position is responsible for coordinating the Alexandria Library’s volunteer programs, plans special events and community outreach activities, and supervises interlibrary loan functions.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the Library’s volunteer programs to include developing training and evaluation materials and providing guidance to branch library volunteer coordinators.
- Recruits volunteers for support work and recommends assignments that will make best use of individual skills and library needs.
- Oversees aspects of public programming, exhibitions, and special events including planning, implementation, and logistics.
- Become a passport processing agent and assist in passport processing.
- Oversee a staff member in the Talking Books services.
- May attend/represent the Library at off-site programs and events.
- Oversees the interlibrary loan program, to include updating ILL policies and procedures, training staff on ILL processes, and compiling monthly and annual ILL statistics.
- Processes ILL requests from Alexandria Library patrons and provides materials to other libraries using OCLC.
- Answers any patron or system-wide inquiries related to ILL policies and procedures.
- Answers reference questions in person, via telephone or email, and provides instruction on using the library catalog, databases and all equipment in the reference area.
- Contributes to collection development of the adult fiction and nonfiction areas through evaluating and ordering new materials as well as weeding and maintaining current collections.
- Serves as manager or building officer in the absence of the Adult Services Manager
- May supervise up to five staff members (part-time Librarian I and Library Assistant positions) including interviewing, selecting, training and evaluating these staff.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be a US Citizen to qualify for Passport Training.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Knowledge of automated integrated library systems and comfortable with technology.
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with reference services using a variety of print and electronic resources.
- Ability to work independently to manage ILL processes.
- Some management or supervisory experience preferred.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited A.L.A. library school and the Virginia professional library license are required.
- At least one year of professional library experience at the level of Librarian I, experience in general reference, interlibrary loan and some supervisory experience is preferred.
Salary: $51,552.80 – $82,834.44 per year
The City’s promotional policy states that an employee who is promoted will be placed on the pay grade associated with their new job classification on the step held prior to promotion unless the increase exceeds 20%, in which case the employee will receive a salary adjustment of 20% plus placement on the next higher step of the new grade, or the minimum of the new grade, whichever is greater. In no case may the employee’s salary exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the Central Library and will include evenings, Saturdays and occasional Sundays.
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Ross Farley, HR Manager, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1701, or email@example.com.
Position Closes: 9/12/2019