Do you have basic computer troubleshooting experience? Do you enjoy interaction with others and delivering an outstanding customer experience? Bring your best talent to PGCMLS! We offer a casual, friendly, and professional work environment as well as great benefits!
This is a part time position at 20 hours per week based on the following schedule:
Friday (B week): 2pm-6pm
Saturday (A week): 10am-2pm
Job Summary: Provides a wide range of assistance to patrons with basic computer issues. Provides training to patrons who need further education on basic computer usage.
– Assists patrons with basic computer issues.
– Performs basic troubleshooting including log-ins, password resets, network connections, printer problems, and use of equipment including photocopier and fax machines.
– Supports patrons work using e-mail, Internet, Microsoft Office Suite, PGCMLS software, and other desktop applications/software.
– Works in an instructional setting providing one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction on basic computer education including word processing and spreadsheets; and the use of Dream Lab technologies (Fairmount Heights Branch)
– Logs equipment damage and malfunctions.
– Provides courteous service at all times.
– Clerical duties such as sorting and shelving books and checking in materials may be assigned.
– Trains new staff as needed.
– Attends meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
– Assists with special projects as required.
– Performs other duties as assigned.
Core Library Competencies:
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
– Continuous Learning – seeks out and assumes responsibility for learning and development opportunities that benefit self and PGCMLS.
– Customer Service – creates a welcoming environment, maintains effective relationships, and uses all available resources to assist customers.
– Communication – understands and applies the library’s mission, vision, and policies, and communicates effectively both within and outside the library system.
– Ethics and Values – treats all with respect and honesty, is a responsible steward of resources, knows and respects customer privacy and confidentiality policies.
– Leadership – willing to try new ideas to achieve the system’s goals, adaptable to change, accountable, keeps PGCMLS’s goals, mission, and customers front and center in daily work.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
– The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
– Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s practices, policies and procedures.
– Ability to act as a representative of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s to the public.
– Thorough knowledge of standard office practices, procedures and equipment.
– Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic functions.
-Ability to type accurately.
-Ability to keep accurate and neat records.
– Strong communication and customer service skills.
– Strong organization and problem solving skills.
– Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as
– Microsoft Office Suite, electronic databases, e-mail, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associate degree preferred.
- Proven desktop troubleshooting experience.
- Knowledge of computer terminology, procedures, hardware and software including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting which provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other materials (up to 30 pounds) may be required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
This and all PGCMLS positions are subject to transfer, based on library need.