The Special Collections Technician is responsible for answering routine reference questions using Special Collections resources; assist in the development of exhibits and displays; undertake collection processing; administer archival training and educational institutes; administrative assistance to Special Collections; manage the Archives office; control Special Collections supplies inventory; supervise student workers and volunteers.
- Provide administrative assistance by filing and maintaining office records as well as obtaining supplies as needed.
- Provide reference and referral assistance to inquirers, visitors and Special Collections users, including duplication services such as digital scans, photocopies and photographs.
- Supervise student workers, practicum students, and volunteers as needed, including collecting employee time sheets and monitoring employee schedules to help maintain proper staffing and service levels.
- Assist with the processing of Catholic University records and manuscript collections, including audiovisual records, in order to produce finding aids.
- Assist with rare books and museum accessions, loans, and exhibits.
- Coordinate with maintenance staff and Special Collections to maintain cleanliness and repair of archives facilities and space.
- Coordinate and provide support for Special Collections programs: receptions, conferences, training sessions, exhibits, and teaching institutes.
- Bachelor’s Degree with two (2) years office administrative experience.
- Familiarity with word processing and spreadsheets.
- Experience in using a/v materials, computers, and databases.
- Courteous and professional manner.
- Interpersonal skills, including tact and discretion.
- Strong service orientation.
- Knowledge of general office equipment, practices and procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Versatility and flexibility; ability to establish priorities.
- Understanding and interest in Archives.