Skadden is seeking a Research & Knowledge Supervisor to join the Research & Knowledge Services team in the Washington, D.C. office. As a member of Skadden’s professional staff, the Research & Knowledge Supervisor will play an integral role in helping the firm provide high-quality service to clients.
- Supervises the daily activities of the Washington, DC office R&KS professional staff both in the office and remotely.
- Provides cost effective research services using databases, print sources, and outside sources.
- Contributes to development and organization of research materials in the R&KS department.
- Evaluates new and updated versions of online and print information resources.
- Perfects research skills using online and print sources, incorporating new technology.
- Develops information network within and outside the Firm.
- Monitors requests during off hours and coordinates with professional staff in all offices to complete pending requests.
- Uses workflow software for the distribution and recording of research and KM requests.
- Educates attorneys and professional staff about R&KS department services.
- Conducts department orientation for new and lateral attorneys.
- Works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to select, maintain and update content for practice area websites.
- Keeps attorneys aware of new developments in their practice areas.
- Coordinates the payment of invoices for products and services for the Washington, DC R&KS operations. Assists Manager in developing and monitoring the department budget.
- Ensures current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for professional staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for professional staff.
- Ensures appropriate professional staffing levels for R&KS department. Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process for department professional staff on industry-specific and department processes.
- Recommends and implements changes and improvements in methods and procedures for higher level management.
- Monitors professional staff time, attendance, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with Firm policies.
- Recommends and participates in disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the department Manager and Human Resources.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm’s performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Effectively addresses and resolves work-related problems and/or conflicts that arise among the department professional staff.
- Communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of research and KM best practices, trends and techniques.
- Thorough understanding of legal, business and related information sources.
- Expertise using online research systems including: Deal Point Data, Securities Mosaic, ThomsonOne, LexisNexis, Westlaw Edge, Bloomberg Law, Cheetah, Intelligize, Fastcase, PLI, etc.
- Working knowledge of integrated library systems.
- Proven ability to use web page authoring tools.
- Ability to effectively supervise others and employ coaching and problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of six years related experience in a legal or corporate information center with a minimum of two years supervisory or leadership experience.