We seek an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented individual to work as subject librarian in the social sciences and humanities and to provide general reference assistance to the UMBC community. This position reports to the Head of Reference & Instruction and is a full time (40 hour/week) library-faculty position. Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references. To apply for the position, go to jobs.umbc.edu. For questions about submitting application materials, contact Shawn Parker (email@example.com). For questions about the position, contact Katy Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position serves as subject librarian to a number of academic departments in the social sciences and humanities. Duties include providing library instruction, outreach, collection development, and research support to students, faculty and staff. As part of a department of six faculty librarians and two professional staff, this position provides general reference service to the campus community (including occasional evening and weekend hours) and participates in the planning and implementation of departmental and Library operations. As an instruction librarian, this position designs and delivers library instruction and contributes to the planning and implementation of the Library’s instructional program. The successful candidate is expected to participate in relevant professional development activities, and campus and Library committee work.
- Master of Library & Information Science degree (or equivalent ALA accredited degree)–December 2019 graduates are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated ability and interest in providing dynamic library instruction and contributing to a team-based information literacy program
- Demonstrated ability and interest in the areas of library public services and outreach
- Demonstrated high-quality written and verbal communication
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Ability to initiate and lead projects to completion
- Interest and/or experience working with diverse populations, particularly students
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a social science or humanities discipline preferred
- Reference experience in an academic library setting preferred
- Direct teaching or library instruction experience preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS: This position is a full time (40 hours/week), 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian I. Salary commensurate with experience—minimum salary $49,000. Comprehensive faculty benefits are included. The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status, as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook – http://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook/.