Email cover letter, résumé and salary requirement email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Projected start date is on or before July 28, 2014.
The Alliance for Health Reform in Washington, DC (www.allhealth.org) is looking for a program associate to assist with planning the annual congressional retreats and health policy briefings, and to help draft grant proposals and reports.
This position will provide a great opportunity for a college graduate to gain exposure to the health policy community in Washington, DC. The Program Associate will interact with health care staff from Congressional Offices and the Executive Branch in addition to the many experts, academics and practitioners who speak at Alliance events.
Being versatile, adaptable, and showing good initiative will be essential to the Program Associate’s duties and will help the Program Associate to best take advantage of the opportunities the position presents. Duties will include managing annual conferences hosted by the Alliance for Members of Congress and for their health policy staff, assisting in organizing briefings on Capitol Hill, occasionally drafting various communications, and taking the lead (after thorough training and with professional backup) on various technology maintenance and improvement projects.
If a Program Associate proves especially adept with policy matters, opportunities to take a lead role in planning one or more Alliance events could become available.
In close collaboration with the executive vice president, director of operations and health policy team, the Program Associate will assist in the following:
Health Policy Briefings
- Assist in organizing briefings, press events, and seminars on Capitol Hill and other locations.
- Attend briefings, assist with set-up, and represent the Alliance.
- When necessary, work with health policy staff to organize content of Alliance seminars, including research and analysis of possible topics, identification of appropriate speakers, and assembling written materials for distribution.
- Assist in developing audience and invitee lists for congressional briefings.
Congressional Retreats & Meetings
- Serve as a liaison between grantors and conference attendees and speakers.
- Manage logistics for meetings and retreats, including accommodations, travel arrangements, meals, audio visual requirements and production of background materials for attendees.
- Arrange meetings with Members of Congress for senior staff members.
- Interact with congressional staff & policy experts; some background research on a variety of health policy issues in preparation for conferences.
- Assist in developing invitee lists and distributing announcements and invites for congressional retreats.
- Organize the preparation of memos, event summaries, grant proposals and final grant reports.
Assist in the drafting funder memos, grant proposals, final grant reports, and other documentation as necessary.
Education, Training, and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree, and 1-3 years work experience in an office setting.
- Previous federal or state legislative or executive branch experience or understanding is highly desirable.
- Interest in current health policy issues.
- Shares Alliance’s goals of quality, affordable health, and long-term care for all Americans.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent writing skills, an ability and willingness to perform a variety of organizational tasks, and a commitment to the substantive goals of the Alliance are essential.
- Good judgment and ability to function both autonomously and in close collaboration with others.
- Ability to organize work, determine priorities, and take initiative.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines. Strong computer skills, especially Word, Excel, Outlook (must be able to perform a mail merge) and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with computer systems that have varying levels of sophistication and functionality. Ability to quickly learn new systems.
This is a full-time position with salary consistent with responsibilities and qualifications. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, sick and holiday time, health, dental and vision insurance; life, and disability insurance and a retirement plan with match and a metro stipend.
The Alliance for Health Reform is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit health policy education group. We are committed to helping journalists, elected officials and other shapers of public opinion understand the roots of the nation’s health care problems and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. Our aim is quality, affordable health coverage for all in the U.S., although we do not lobby or take positions on legislation. Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) is our founder and honorary chairman; Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) is honorary co-chairman; and Robert Graham, MD, of George Washington University, is our board chairman.