Part-time Library assistant (30 hours per week) — one year contract in Alexandria, Virginia, starting end of January, beginning of February. This may be a good opportunity for a library student specializing in cataloging.
Here are the details:
- Utilizes the defined rules established through professional cataloging practices of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, RDA and Library of Congress Subject Headings, as well as adhere to local rules and practices defined by the Technical Services Manager.
- Handle the copy cataloging and bibliographic maintenance of print, digital and audiovisual materials for import into the online catalog.
- Performs catalog maintenance which includes the correcting and updating of catalog records and maintaining authority control of names and series.
- Assigns classification numbers using established Library of Congress Classification System into the Library’s online catalog, Sirsi Dynix’ Symphony.
- Searches, reviews and edits existing bibliographic records and holdings for monographs utilizing OCLC, Z39.50, MARC Editor and other cataloging resources.
- Performs processing of materials being added to the collections as added copies.
- Updates bibliographic records and OCLC holdings information for all library materials as required.
- Participates fully in collaborative efforts toward efficient workflow and problem solving.
- When needed, some intra-departmental coverage may be required within Technical Services as well as other related duties.
Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of cataloging methods, procedures and practices; some knowledge of the Library System’s automated records system, databases and other specialized computer programs; knowledge of standard bibliographic tools; skill in operating automated library systems; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
Minimum: Two-Year College Degree; at least one year of experience at a level equivalent to Library Assistant I; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Preferred: Four Year College Degree; must be able to demonstrate the ability to work with detailed, highly-structured work.
30 hours per week.
Interested candidates please send resumes to email@example.com