Metadata Services Manager
The George Washington University Libraries and Academic Innovation seeks a Metadata Services Manager. Under the direction of the Resource Description Coordinator, the Metadata Services Manager is a member of the Resource Description Group (RDG) and the greater metadata management group within The George Washington University Libraries. The RDG is responsible for describing and providing access for library collections in all formats. The Metadata Services Manager is primarily responsible for creating original metadata, complex metadata revision, and authority work for the library’s general and special collections. The Metadata Services Manager will help shape the identity management work for the library’s collections and is expected to collaborate with colleagues from functional areas across GW Libraries and beyond, in service of the GW Community and the profession. This is a full-time 12-month appointment. Rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
* Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited library program, or a Master’s degree in a related information field
* 1 year experience with creating metadata or cataloging in an academic library, museum, archive, a comparable research environment, or a metadata service provider
* 1 year supervisory experience
* Demonstrate experience with creating, editing, and transforming non-MARC metadata, such as EAD or others
* Demonstrate knowledge of basic organizational, descriptive, structural metadata standards and best practices, such as RDA, AACR, DACS, DCRM(B), MARC21, Dublin Core, MODS, etc., thesauri, controlled vocabulary, identity disambiguation
* Demonstrate the ability to be self-motivated and work creatively, independently and collaboratively
* Demonstrate excellent analytical, problem-solving skills, and computer/technological skills, including project management
* Demonstrate a strong service-orientation, forward thinking and flexible
* Demonstrate effective oral, written communication and interpersonal skills
Only complete applications will be considered. To be considered, please complete an online faculty application at http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/4
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.