This position is located in the District of Columbia Public Library (DCPL) within the Public Services Division. The mission of the DCPL is to provide environments that invite reading, learning and community discussion and to equip people with the resources they need to learn all their lives.
The DC Public Library (DCPL), in partnership with the DC Department of Corrections (DOC) provides library services to individuals who are incarcerated at the DC Jail. Under the supervision of the Health and Human Services Assistant Manager, the Library Technician (Jail) will serve the incarcerated population throughout the 18-unit DC Jail facility performing circulation, registration and clerical duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sorts and shelves library materials. Maintains order of shelves by shifting and re-shelving materials. Arranges periodicals, records, newspapers, etc.
- Sets up circulation desk; collects and processes material from book drops
- Registers patrons for library cards
- Maintains the library’s physical materials collections
- Processes incoming material from vendors and evaluates physical condition of items
- Utilizes proper protocols for materials handling and customer accounts
- Answers basic questions concerning the library and refers difficult questions to the supervisor as necessary; answers the telephone, refers calls, and/or records messages
- Alerts supervisor of collections processing, maintenance, and inventory issues and proposes solution
- Provides exceptional customer service
- Performs a variety of clerical duties such as types schedules, files applications and reports.
This position requires a High School diploma or equivalent (GED) and at least one year of customer service experience. In addition, the following is required:
Learn more: https://careers.dc.gov/psc/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=8615&PostingSeq=1&