library assistant -downtown law firm
|Reporting to the Director of Library Services, the Library Assistant will conduct domestic and international legal, non-legal, corporate, due diligence and business development research. The candidate must demonstrate: strong research and technology skills, experience in a law/corporate library setting, ability to assist in developing/maintaining the Library’s technology and print applications, ability to assist Library users to appropriate sources, experience performing Conflicts research and an understanding of the ethical issues involved.
The Library Assistant is expected to be a positive role model and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement.
Core Competencies and Job Requirements
· Two- or four-year college degree preferred
· Two or more years of related experience in a law library
· Familiarity with LC library cataloging system, other cataloging systems, and general cataloging principles
· Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and SharePoint
· Proficient in general library collection maintenance activities; experience with Chrome River preferred
· Demonstrated proficiency and capabilities with library-relevant information technology applications, including integrated library systems
· Ability to perform collection maintenance functions that will include lifting (up to 25 lbs.), bending, standing, walking, reaching overhead, climbing stairs, pushing and pulling book carts, etc.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Ability to work independently, take initiative, meet deadlines, and respond to changing priorities
· Strong service orientation and a history of developing effective working relationships with others
Duties and Responsibilities
· Maintain library vendor files, reviewing invoices to verify receipt of materials and to avoid duplication of payment
· Work with vendors to claim missing items
· Prepare all invoices for final approval and payment using automated and manual systems
· Check in mail and serials, and process new library materials
· Effectively use a variety of databases and manual systems for interlibrary loan work, including borrowing materials, loaning materials, and managing requests and delivery
· Perform routine basic copy cataloging, update records in the online catalog, withdraw items selected by a librarian, and maintain holdings records
· Organize and coordinate activities of the contract shelver/filer
· Assist with budget analysis and cost efficiency
· Assist with the library’s integrated library system, intranet pages, and other products and systems used to deliver information and services
· Perform basic legal research using online and print resources
This is a non-exempt position
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Miller & Chevalier is an equal opportunity employer. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please email cover letter and resume to:
Ms. Cari Seidman
Human Resource Specialist
Miller & Chevalier Chartered
900 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006