The Information Services (IS) Team Lead is responsible for supervising the NASA Goddard Library Information Services Team and their operation; the day-to-day supervision of the Library’s reference and research services, circulation, access services, the information desk, Interlibrary Loan (ILL), maintenance of the physical collection, outreach, current awareness, and educational aspects of the Library. The IS Team Lead provides assistance to customers in navigating information resources available to them and provides expert reference and research services. The IS Team Lead is responsible for developing an in-depth understanding of the research needs and culture of the community, and based on that understanding, developing information services, resources, and tools to assist them with their work. In addition, the IS Team Lead assures that the physical Library environment is well organized, functional, attractive, and responsive to user requests and needs.
- As a senior member of the Library team, collaborates with the Leadership Team to develop new ideas, concepts, and methodologies of benefit to the Library or the IS Team.
- Responsible for oversight of all IS activities, including managing the IS schedules, activities, reporting, policies and procedures, and overall services. Regularly reviews and provides feedback on all IS interactions. Ensures coverage of all IS activities, including the Information Desk, QuestionPoint, Interlibrary Loan, circulation, and maintenance of the physical space.
- Coordinates periodic maintenance of the physical shelves including shifting, weeding, and inventory activities.
- Provides backup assistance in coordinating collaborative events in the Library space.
- Ensures that users are provided with access to, and instruction in, obtaining the information they need in the best format and in a timely manner.
- Coordinates and supervises the Information Services Team, including assignment and monitoring of tasks and overall performance evaluations.
- Compiles, enters, and maintains metrics data, and provides departmental representation in oral and written reporting on team activities, including circulation, ILL, and reference requests, and produces reports on the teams’ accomplishments.
- Prepares and updates procedures and policies for the IS Team.
- Produces management reports (weekly activities, monthly reports, annual reports and project deliverables) as required.
- Provides marketing and outreach as necessary (e.g., summer intern activities).
- Develops and publishes Dateline announcements, blog articles.
- Creates signage as needed.
- Conceptualizes and develops in-Library displays.
- Develops current awareness materials designed to promote the Library and its activities.
- Works with the Library Leadership Team to develop educational events and presentations to benefit Goddard personnel and promote Library services.
- Conceptualizes and implements an ongoing program of promoting the Library’s services and resources through various methods (presentations, webinars, Library website, etc.)
- Identifies opportunities to partner with other onsite organizations in order to promote the Library’s services and resources.
- Provides expert reference and research services to the Government.
- Ensures the prompt discharge and re-shelving or re-filing of all Library materials and all other collection maintenance activities, including shifting, inventory control, and locations updating in the SirsiDynix Library system.
- Oversees all circulation activities. Provides timely production and distribution of overdue notices, hold and reserve notifications; the creation, update and maintenance of the customer records and SirsiDynix circulation table values; the prompt reply and fulfillment of InterLibrary Loan (ILL) borrowing requests.
- Ensures continuous operation of photocopiers and other Library machines, the efficient and complete attention to customer information needs and the referral to the government of those that require extensive research, and the coordination of outreach activities.
- MLS from an accredited library school
- USA citizen
- 3-4 years experience in reference and information services
- 3-4 years library supervisory experience minimum
- Ability to stay abreast of new trends in libraries and technology
- Sirsi/Dynix or comparable ILS experience
- Proven oral and written communication and interpersonal skills as well as organizational skills
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel and reach within the book stacks
- Knowledge of scientific and technical information resources
Previous experience in Federal Library environment
Knowledge and/or interest in bibliometric management tools such as Mendeley and bibliometric analysis tools
To apply, please go to this link, complete the short form, and upload your resume: