This position is located in the Washington Headquarters Services (WHS), History and Library Directorate (HLD). The incumbent works as a Librarian within the Pentagon Library and is a member of a team in charge of reference, instruction, and outreach at the Pentagon Library, which consists of approximately 250,000 items including books, pamphlets, serial publications, bound and unbound periodicals, DoD and Army documents and publications.
Your typical work assignments may include the following:
- Provides on line literature searches of a wide range of subject literature, requiring a broad knowledge of a wide range of topics. Oversees circulation system. Provides technical advice, guidance, and instruction to library technicians involved with circulation procedures. Oversight includes review and problem-solving of the charging, discharging, overdue accounts, interlibrary loan, and reserve request systems.
- Responsible for collection development. Selects materials for inclusion in collection to assure appropriate support of the Pentagon Library mission, as well as missions of our customer components, to include but not be limited to Office of The Secretary of Defense, Joint Staff, and uniformed services. Identifies and obtains appropriate Department of Defense (DOD) and other US Government documents.
- Participates in management functions and the formulation of library policy and procedures in concert with the other librarians, library staff, and Branch Chief. Encourages and acts upon suggestions for work improvement.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration)
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- This position is subject to provisions of the WHS/OSD PPP Pilot Program
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment
- Required to participate in the direct deposit program
- This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing
- This is a non-sensitive position
- Recruitment or Retention Incentive (i.e. Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized in accordance with regulatory requirements
Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate study in library science in an accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor’s degree or a total of at least 5 years of a combination of college-level education, training, and experience. To qualify on this basis, the applicant must establish conclusively that the education, training, and experience provided a knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles, and techniques of professional librarianship; a knowledge of literature resources; and the knowledge and abilities essential for providing effective library and information services.
Open & closing dates
01/31/2019 to 02/12/2019
Pay scale & grade
$68,036 to $88,450 per year
More details about the offer and application: