Summer – Fall Internship Opportunity at the Center for Legislative Archives, National Archives and Records Administration
The Center for Legislative Archives seeks a student intern interested in working with electronic records and web archiving. The Center is a unique office within the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The Center preserves and makes available the historically valuable records of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate.
The Center seeks an intern to assist the Electronic Records Specialists with its biennial Congressional web archive. At the conclusion of each Congress, the Center partners with the Internet Archive to create an archived version of U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives websites. At the conclusion of the 114th Congress in 2016, the Center completed its sixth capture of Congressional websites. The 114th Congress archiving tasks preserved over 152 million URLs (i.e. unique pages) totaling over 45 terabytes of uncompressed web data. The Congressional Web Archive holdings now total 33% of the Center’s electronic records holdings. Beginning with the 109th Congress, archived websites are now accessible online via http://www.webharvest.gov.
In order to be a competitive candidate, applicants must demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team environment to achieve goals
- Experience and proficiency with automated desktop software (e.g. Excel) to create and modify lists of URLs
- Familiarity with websites and web browser functionality
In addition to web archiving activities, the intern will gain experience ingesting congressional records for preservation in our Congressional Records Instance (CRI) of NARA’s Electronic Records Archive (ERA) and assisting the Electronic Records Specialists in various other duties.
Interested candidates must be:
- U.S. citizen
- Enrolled in a degree granting program (at the undergraduate or graduate level) at the time of their internship
- Submit a resume with cover letter
- Recent school transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Must submit to a full background check
Internships at NARA are unpaid positions. Ideally the candidate would be able to commit to 16 hours a week from June – December.
The deadline for applying is March 15, 2018. More information on applying for an internship can found on our website.