A position in Loyola / Notre Dame Library’s ILL unit has opened up. A full description of the Interlibrary Loan Assistant position and how to apply is as follows.
Interlibrary Loan Assistant
The Loyola Notre Dame Library (LNDL) seeks an energetic, service-oriented person to join our Interlibrary Loan (ILL) unit. The ILL unit obtains materials not available from the University of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) libraries for students, faculty, and staff and lends materials from LNDL’s collection to non-USMAI libraries. The successful candidate is a creative problem solver with excellent customer service skills who actively participates in all ILL activities, uses software such as ILLiad and Rapid ILL, trains student workers, and maintains annual ILL statistics.
- Processes all ILL requests using software including ILLiad and Rapid, national and international ILL standards, best practices, and established timelines.
- Performs both borrowing and lending interlibrary loan duties in a quick, efficient and courteous manner electronically and in person.
- Processes ILL requests daily, handles questions and problems immediately, and seeks guidance from the Head of Collections and Technology Services when appropriate.
- Communicates with students, faculty, staff, and other libraries as needed in a timely manner to fill borrowing requests and resolve lending questions.
- Trains and supervises the work of ILL student assistant(s) in collaboration with other ILL staff.
- Assists the Head of Collections and Technology Services in recommending, formulating, and implementing policies and workflow procedures to continuously improve ILL services for Library users. Maintains up-to-date documentation of workflow procedures.
- Collects and records ILL statistics in support of annual reporting requirements and to support data-informed changes to services, programs, and the user experience.
- Maintains current awareness, familiarity, and skill with technology, software, and systems used in Interlibrary Loan, such as ILLiad, Rapid ILL, OCLC, and the library’s online catalog.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of relevant library experience
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service and commitment to customer privacy
- Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy, and capacity to prioritize and carry out tasks in a fast paced environment in a timely manner with minimal direction
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to learn and effectively use technology required for the work of the position including skill in using Microsoft applications, e-mail, and internet navigation
- Demonstrated proficiency with personal computers, Microsoft Office applications, the Web, and other productivity software
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds, push heavy book trucks, and move and unpack boxes with or without accommodation
- Experience working in circulation, reserves, or ILL in an academic library
- Experience with ILLiad, Rapid ILL, OCLC, or other bibliographic management/resource sharing systems
- Knowledge of copyright and intellectual property issues
About the Library: The Loyola Notre Dame Library, located in a residential area of northern Baltimore City, serves Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. Loyola University Maryland is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning and Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and with new programs in the Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy. The Library serves a total student population of 6,446 FTE that includes 5,099 FTE at Loyola and 1,347 FTE at Notre Dame and is a member of University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI).
The Library offers an excellent benefits package that includes medical, access to dental, life, and disability insurance, as well as TIAA retirement. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre-employment background check. The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) work-related references with “Interlibrary Loan Assistant” in the subject line to Lorena Dion, Administrative Operations Coordinator: email@example.com.