Georgetown University Lauinger Library (http://www.library.
invites applications for the position of Head, Digital Services Unit.
The *Unit Head, Digital Services* coordinates the planning, designing,
implementation, maintenance, expansion and communication/outreach of the
digital collections/projects, digital services, and institutional
repository services, collections and content, including the design,
deployment and maintenance of digital services and platforms which includes
DigitalGeorgetown and related digital tool sets, representations of digital
content, digital conversion, interoperability of digital platforms, and
integration of digital resources into learning management systems.
The Digital Services Unit is one of two core units of LIT along with
Library Applications and Systems Support. The Unit Head, Digital Services
position reports to the Head of Library Information Technology, who
provides strategy, planning, and policy direction. Supervises 1 FTE digital
services staff and 2-3 FTE student assistants. Duties include but are not
– Initiates and is the first point of contact for all new digital
projects and digital initiatives, and works with both internal and external
project stakeholders to develop an achievable project plan guided by a
clear project charter.
– Monitors progress toward project milestones and coordinates with
stakeholders of participating departments in the library and the University
to ensure timely progress toward completion, making necessary adjustments
in keeping with the priorities of the GU Libraries as a whole.
– Keeps current on technology trends, to identify possibilities for
collaboration and partnership on digital initiatives within the GU
Libraries, university and consortially, and to be proactive in ensuring
that the GU Libraries remain current and relevant with their digital
collections and digital repositories and systems.
– Seeks out new opportunities for GU Libraries with emphasis on
innovation, digital developments, and new roles for academic libraries in
digital pedagogy and curriculum. In addition, the Unit Head, Digital
Services will serve as a public face for digital initiatives by
representing the GU Libraries on external committees, working groups, and
other professional organizations as needed.
– Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an
ALA-accredited program or related degree.
– Minimum two years of direct experience with digital initiatives
(digitization projects, digital content management systems and/or Web-based
delivery of digital objects).
– Experience with some digital collection management platforms or
extensible services such as DSpace, Islandora, Omeka, DigiTool, Blacklight
– Demonstrated ability to analyze user requirements to deliver digital
solutions and experience performing usability surveys.
– Experience with digital image file formats, conversion and software
such as Adobe CS
– Knowledge of audio and visual applications in the virtual environment.
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects involving many
To apply, please go to the following URL <