DDOT produces and uses a large amount of data (on everything from street tree health to pavement condition to bikeshare ridership). DDOT is working to strengthen its internal data governance. Over several iterations, the agency has developed a robust data inventory of available data inside the agency. A Data Governance Council is being formed to develop policies and procedures for use by the agency for managing data and ensuring the ongoing sharing, integration, and accessibility of agency data.
Building upon previous research at DDOT, develop a realistic data governance action plan which can achievably be implemented at DDOT. Research success stories and best practices from similar cities. Identify current challenges/pain points at DDOT related to data sharing, accuracy, availability, duplication and potentially other issues.
The action plan will include:
- Document and summarize data governance ‘opportunities for improvement’.
- Update and improve DDOT’s comprehensive listing of data, data owners as well as stakeholders
- Propose a framework to ensure that new projects/data are able to support data analysis.
- Outreach plan for encouraging data ownership throughout DDOT.
- Solid background/coursework in data science, information systems and/or library information sciences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Focus on policy and/or business development/management
Graduate student in data science, information systems, library information sciences, or related fields.