Arlington County’s Public Library is seeking an innovative and experienced Branch Manager to lead the Shirlington branch library in managing daily operations and customer service delivery. We invite candidates who are strategic thinkers and problem solvers, have strong interpersonal, organizational, leadership and communication skills, and are dedicated to creating a welcoming and inclusive space for culture and connection.
Specific duties include:
- Contributing to the Library’s strategic plan and evaluation of policies, programs and procedures;
- Supervising and developing staff;
- Overseeing the Branch collections and collaborating with the Material Management Division to ensure the collection is current, relevant and reflects community needs;
- Developing and maintaining community contacts;
- Creating and implementing programs and services that meet the needs of the community;
- Managing resources effectively and efficiently; and
- Participating in a variety of teams/workgroups/committees that further the library mission.
The ideal candidate is knowledgeable of current public library trends, technologically savvy, able to initiate and manage change, and committed to providing excellent customer and informational service to a diverse spectrum of customers of all ages and backgrounds.
Minimum: Masters’ Degree in Library Science or Information Science from an ALA accredited college or university plus three years of professional experience providing direct public service in a library which includes at least one year of experience managing a facility or leading a team.
Desirables: Preference will be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Managing a public library facility or service for a diverse community;
- Direct supervision and evaluation of staff performance;
- Working with staff and patrons to develop library services and programs that meet the needs of the community;
- Working cross departmentally to collaborate on major initiatives, projects or services; and/or
- Evolving or re-imagining public library services and/or facilities.
Must possess or be eligible for a Virginia Librarian’s Certificate.
Work Hours: Full-time 40 hours per week, may include some evening and weekend work. Actual work schedule is determined by the needs of the work location and assignment may change over time. The current vacancy is at the Shirlington Library, 4200 Campbell Ave.
The official title of this position is Librarian Supervisor.