History Associates has a need for graduate students pursuing an MLS degree with a specialization in archives, records, and/or information management to work on an exciting processing project alongside our team of archivists. The team will process a collection of records from a religious community at our main office in Rockville, MD. The records will be processed and described so they will be “research ready” in preparation for donation to a selected academic repository.
This is a paid internship opportunity, and the six-month project is slated to begin in January 2019. Working under the supervision of the Project Manager, the students will implement a pre-established project plan in accordance with guidelines developed with the repository. Tasks include: rehousing, arrangement, general preservation activities, and development of finding aid components including scope and content notes, series descriptions, and container lists. Interns may also be involved in the preparation of digital archival material for transfer to the repository. Logistical details of the internship can be tailored to the successful candidate’s academic program requirements.
• Must be currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited Master of Library Science or Information Science program with a specialization in Archives, Records, and/or Information Management.
• Candidates should have completed at least one foundational course in archival principles.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Understanding of basic archival principles (arrangement, description, cataloging, creating hierarchies)
• Discretion, initiative, and judgment
• Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, primarily Word and Excel
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and the names and contact information of two references to:
History Associates Incorporated Attn:
Doris Miles, Director of Personnel
300 N. Stonestreet Avenue Rockville, MD 20850