Specializes in and supports the library’s services to children of all ages and their caregivers with a focus on school age students and teens. Conducts reference interviews to determine the appropriate electronic and print resources to meet the informational needs of the customer. Advises customers especially children, on recreational reading materials.
Note: The salary will not exceed the midpoint of the advertised compensation range.
- Answers reference questions from customers through the use of standard reference books, documents, and electronic resources
- Assists and instructs customers in the use of materials in various formats;
- Advises and assists customers in the selection of books, periodicals, media, and other materials
- Maintains collection by weeding, marketing, and merchandising library materials
- Plans and provides programs and outreach to customers of all ages
- Trouble-shoots library computers and reports unresolved problems through proper channels
- Remains current in resources, services, and technologies in the information field;
- Identifies materials to be considered for addition to the library collection.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, standards, and practices of library science
- Knowledge of library reference sources and methods
- Ability to learn new procedures and resources
- Ability to communicate verbally in order to answer reference questions and provide reading guidance
- Ability to provide information services to people of all ages
- Ability to work with other employees
- Ability to understand and interpret policies
- Ability to plan and schedule workload
- Ability to promote interest in library services
- Ability to carry out objectives under supervision
- Ability to effectively train and supervise others.
- Ability to plan and provide youth-oriented library programs and outreach.
Graduation from college with a master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school, or completion of coursework towards a master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school.
One or more years of experience working in a library setting, including one or more years of experience assisting patrons with children’s literature/youth collections. Experience in planning and providing programs and outreach to youth.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a certificate issued by the Virginia State Board for Certification of Librarians within three months of date of appointment to the position.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check and a Child Services Registry check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Ability to lift books weighing up to ten pounds. Ability to input, access and retrieve information from a computer. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include an oral exercise and providing a sample of an early literacy program.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.
To learn more and to apply, please click here or visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfaxcounty/jobs/2086595/youth-services-librarian-librarian-i