Full-time, 40 hours per week. This position is required to work evenings, weekends and an on-call schedule as needed.Job Summary
Oversees and manages the publishing of web content on the DC Public Library website and web portals. Plans, implements and evaluates all of the Library’s social media. Serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Library’s blogs. Provides editorial support for all online communication.Essential Job Responsibilities
- Plans, implements and evaluates Library’s social media network including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Google +, and other mediums;
- Works with libraries/divisions/departments to create and implement communications strategies for web content and social media;
- Oversee social media working group;
- Responsible for overseeing and developing social media strategic plan;
- Develops and implements short-term plans for areas based on direction from the Deputy Director and the overall communications strategy; serves as project lead for online content including social media and web content;
- Creates messaging for the promotion of programs and activities;
- Provides creative direction to the graphic design regarding online materials, including but not limited to social media, and web presence;
- Serves as Assistant Editor for the department; reviews and copyedits online materials and publications;
- Keeps supervisor informed of issues in a timely fashion; recommends changes as appropriate;
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with DCPL staff, DC Agencies, corporate and non-profit organizations, as well as other marketing and communications professionals; and
- Keeps informed of current Marketing and Communications practices, particularly social media and web content, and trends by attending workshops and educational programs or reading specialized literature.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of how to communicate effectively with and to multiple and diverse audiences; strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Knowledge of web content management systems, social media and marketing and communications principals, methods, practices and techniques, including brand marketing, direct marketing, and cross marketing;
- Knowledge of Associated Press writing style guidelines;
- Identify and develop creative approaches and tools to reach targeted audiences;
- Maximize technology to deliver communications messages;
- Effectively communicate with clients on how to best promote events, programs and products;
- Experience in leading creative brainstorm sessions with clients;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff and work as a team;
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload effectively and efficiently while paying attention to detail and complete assignments under pressure; and
- Respond properly in emergency situations.
- A minimum of three (3) year’s relevant experience working in a public relations agency, corporate communications or non-profit public relations environment;
- Experience working in online communications and marketing using social media and web-based tools;
- Experience working with a creative team to develop newsworthy, innovative communications activities.
Licensures, Certifications and other requirements
Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perfom successfully the duties and responsibilities of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire and building safety regulations.