SUMMARY: Incorporated in 1898, Garrett Park is a small town located in a sylvan setting next to Rock Creek Park in southern Montgomery County, Maryland, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Garrett Parkers have easy access to Washington DC by way of the MARC commuter train station located in town and Grosvenor-Strathmore Red Line Metro station approximately 1 mile away. The Town archives is supported by a resident-led Archives Committee.
The Town Archivist works independently in the Penn Place building on the ground floor with easy access to the Town Office located on the third floor. The Archivist will be assisted by and will supervise volunteers. The Archivist reports to the Town Manager.
- Acquire, authenticate, preserve, organize and catalog public town records and materials donated from private collections
- Maximize the use of archival software, train and supervise community and student volunteers
- Organize oral history recordings and their transcription
- Respond to requests for archival documents
- Report on the status of the archives to the Garrett Park Archives Committee and Town Manager
- Grow the existing archival database by promoting interest in continuing contributions to the archives
- Ensure in-person and online access to the archives, which capture the 125-year-old history, culture and social life of Garrett Park
- Support the Town Office on government records and retention management
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Volunteers
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate will have experience performing archival records management in small communities or non-profit organizations and at least a Bachelor’s degree, coursework, or certification in archival science. Experience cataloging government records and giving presentations based on archival documents to community and student groups is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Work independently and take decisive action
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience using PastPerfect, Omeka, or other archival software and websites is a plus
- Ability to set and follow through on short- and long-term goals for the archive
Interested applicants please send a one-page cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org