The Technical Services Specialist supports the Director and entire department in maintaining the Firm’s print resource and online collection records. This individual should be organized and detail-oriented in order to successfully create and preserve adequate records for collection maintenance.
- Orders and maintains library collection and related records, including those for attorney and firm-wide use.
- Manage print and electronic periodical circulation, update labels and routing distribution lists. Includes downloading and saving/filing digital issues and daily distribution of papers to each practice group floor in Baltimore.
- Receive, open and sort daily mail and package deliveries. Record delivery and filing details for each specific resource into library management system and maintain accurate historical archives of this information.
- Assist Director to complete employee departure and orientation checklists. Distribute and collect resources for new and departing Firm members.
- Assist Director and research team with administrative tasks such as scanning, copying, billing/invoicing, filing and digital file maintenance.
- Complete daily sweeps of all drop-off bins on each floor to collect materials for return; reshelf and shift materials as needed; communicate all replacement or acquisition recommendations.
- Network internally with all firm colleagues in order to bolster department goals and objectives. Network externally by engaging in professional organizations in order to remain current in industry trends and developments.
- Assist Director with collection maintenance by performing periodic weeding, shifting and clean-up of print collection.
- Perform basic legal research to support and assist with reference requests. Assist attorneys and firm colleagues with finding print materials.
- Repair damaged materials or order replacements from vendors as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Service oriented and proactive with a strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Well-developed and professional interpersonal skills to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the firm.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Critical thinking, problem solving and good judgement.
- Strong all-round knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work and persevere under pressure.
- General knowledge of major legal publishers and their products/platforms.
- Familiarity with major Library/Information cataloging systems.
- Knowledge of print and electronic legal and non-legal research resources
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience working in a library setting; law firm experience preferred.
- Master’s degree in Library Science preferred or enrollment in Library Science program, educational qualifications may be waived with commensurate experience.
- Cataloging experience with Sydney Plus preferred
contact Rachel Englander at renglander@MilesStockbridge.