Greenley Library is seeking a highly motivated enthusiastic Librarian with a commitment to public service who will participate in the operation of the Technical Services Department, with responsibility for acquisitions, collection development, and ILS systems management.
The Technical Services department is comprised of 2 full time librarians, 2 full time clerks, and employs over 20 students per semester. Departmental functions include collection development, acquisitions, gifts, cataloging, shelf maintenance, college archives, and other areas as needed.
This is a 12 month, full time, tenure track faculty position, reporting to the Library Director.
- Collaborate with Cataloging Librarian to develop and implement departmental workflows leading up to and following ILS migration.
- Work with department in ongoing collection assessment and weeding.
Acquisitions and Collection Development
- Oversee the selection and purchase of library materials in a variety of formats.
- Work with library database vendors to get quotes, negotiate and get approval for contracts.
- Work with library and other campus faculty to create a collection development liaison program with academic departments across campus.
- Assess and revise the library’s collection development policies as necessary.
- Develop expertise and trouble shooting ability in the acquisitions and cataloging module of the Ex Libris Aleph ILS.
- Track use of acquisitions budget.
- Create collection reports using Aleph.
- Oversee the Library’s implementation of a new ILS in 2018, in conjunction with library faculty and staff at SUNY. Oversee training for all staff in appropriate functions.
- Work with campus IT on EzProxy authentication.
- Maintain a record of assessment in all areas of responsibility, making improvements as needed.
Reference, Instruction, Collection Development
- Participate in the rotation of library reference services and information literacy instruction, in collaboration with the Head of Reference and Information Literacy.
- Participate in campus, local, SUNY-wide, and national committees or organizations.
- Demonstrate commitment to scholarship.
- Other duties as assigned.
9am-5pm Mon-Fri. One night per week, 1pm-9pm. Will likely be expected to rotate 1 Sunday per month during the Fall and Spring.
- MLS or equivalent from an ALA Accredited program.
- Demonstrable proficiency in written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of library acquisitions procedures and practices.
- Expertise in searching OCLC/WorldCat.
- Experience working with an ILS such as Aleph.
- Experience in an academic library environment
- Knowledge of working with library vendors and book jobbers.
- Knowledge of Aleph, Connexion.
- 2nd Master’s degree or equivalent.
- Reference experience.
- Experience teaching information literacy or other topics.
- Supervisory experience.
- Creation of electronic resources such as web pages.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite or other software for maintenance and dissemination of statistics.
- Experience with ILS migration.
This is a full-time position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Thursday, April 6, 2017 and ending Wednesday, April 19, 2017, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: May 6, 2017
- Salary minimum $56,000/year, may commensurate with experience
- If you are applying for multiple jobs, please submit a separate application for each.
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College’s operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A letter of application and resume should be submitted online at:
Only applications submitted online will be considered.
Contact: Farmingdale State College