LAC Group is seeking a Taxonomist to work with a major Federal Agency in Washington D.C. The selected individual will provide support data cleanup, assessment, migration, implementation, and ongoing system maintenance. This position will be part-time consisting of 20 hours per week for 2-3 months then convert to full-time (40 hours per week) with benefits.
- Support the creation and revision of GAO taxonomies, including: developing and sourcing terms, facets, and definitions; defining taxonomy structure; removing outdated terms; applying proper naming conventions, normalizing variants, and writing disambiguation rules.
- Support the writing and editing of rules for auto-classification and entity extraction
- Check and correct tagging, then compile corrections and updates for distribution in a weekly report.
- Support the adoption and implementation of new taxonomy software by migrating taxonomy terms and rules to the new system; advising on a new Standard Operating Procedure to document new processes; and other related tasks as needed.
- Confer with GAO staff regarding tasks undertaken to edit taxonomy, and provide input on taxonomy governance practices.
- MLS/MLIS or equivalent degree
- At least 2 years of experience in taxonomy development that demonstrates growing complexity
- A demonstrated understanding of the relationships between and uses of taxonomies, thesauri, ontologies, metadata management and application, controlled vocabularies, and authority control
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, and facility communicating effectively with remote colleagues.
- Expert proofreading, organizational, and research skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with teammates. Self-disciplined when working alone.
- Experience working with auto-categorization technology (either rule-based or machine-learning).
- Familiarity and experience with linked data concepts and standards such as RDF data modeling, semantic web, OWL, SKOS, SPARQL, and/or Schema.org
To apply, please visit: https://lac.gp/37GHxPO