Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Systems Analyst is primarily responsible for configuring, deploying, and monitoring
University of Maryland Libraries’ server based applications across a wide range of services, including web site delivery, content management, digital collections, digital preservation, and enterprise infrastructure. These include locally developed and third-party applications, in support of the UMD Libraries and the broader University of Maryland research and learning communities.
The Systems Analyst will work closely with both developers and systems administrators to ensure Libraries’ applications are highly-performing, highly-available, and fault-tolerant. During the first year the successful candidate will both learn our traditional RedHat Linux based server environment and help lead our transition to a Docker deployment environment. This includes
transitioning increasingly more complex and important services to Docker and selecting the orchestration tools and strategies.
The Systems Analyst will utilize automation and monitoring tools to ensure highly-available systems. The candidate will also participate in the Libraries’ change advisory board by discussing and documenting system and applications changes as well as their deployment procedures. On rare occasions the job requires emergency response for critical systems outside
standard work hours.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Three years of experience working in the software development and deployment lifecycle, in roles such as Systems Administrator, Systems Analyst, or Software Developer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Demonstrated ability to research and learn new technologies
● Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex technical issues
● Strong user service orientation
● Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills
● Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to information sciences, computer sciences and
engineering, or information management
● Experience deploying and supporting applications in a Linux environment
● Experience building and deploying Docker images and using orchestration tools
● Experience in database administration
● Experience automating deployment and monitoring using Bash shell
● Experience using continuous integration and continuous deployment tools, such as
● Experience using version control, such as Git