Sunday Library Assistant I
Part-Time (4 Hours a Week) – Beatley Central Library
The Alexandria Library is seeking an energetic and reliable staff member to join the Sunday Services team at the Alexandria Library as a Library Assistant I.
- Assisting library users in routine selection and location of library materials;
- Checking library materials in and out for library users;
- Collecting fines and fees, issuing library cards and revising registration records;
- Assisting patrons with the use of self-check machines, library catalogs and other databases, Internet computers, printers and copy machines;
- Shelf-reading, inventory and withdrawal of library materials;
- Maintenance of one or more sections of the collection; and
- Additional duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Willingness to acquire some knowledge of library practices and techniques;
- Some knowledge of and interest in literature;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public, in busy and sometimes difficult circumstances;
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports;
- Ability to work both as part of a team, and independently, without constant supervision;
- An aptitude for customer service.
- A two-year college degree;
- Proficiency in verbal and written English and basic arithmetic and computer skills;
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities;
- Ability to lift and carry at least 15 pounds;
- Foreign language skills and customer service experience preferred.
4 hours per week each Sunday the Library is open for service.
Compensation: $17.13 per hour.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Renée DiPilato, Deputy Director of Libraries, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1701, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Until Filled