The Student Writing Services Manager oversees efforts related to identifying and providing writing instruction and services for students and alumni. The Student Writing Services Manager will partner with University Library team members on blending writing and research instruction strategies. The Student Writing Services Manager will also works with academics and operations teams to ensure writing instruction and services are in alignment with stakeholder needs. He/she will use assessment practices and data analytics to drive positive student and alumni outcomes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drives strategy for writing services across the university to ensure appropriate and effective resources and instruction are available to patrons.
- Identifies opportunities to blend writing and research strategies in order to meet shared goals.
- Oversees the development and implementation of writing instruction for students, including virtual and on ground modalities and live, self-paced, or recorded sessions.
- Oversees the development and implementation of staff and faculty training related to writing services.
- Oversees the development and implementation of citation style instruction and support, partners with Programs & Products team on related strategy.
- Ensures that writing services align with course- program- and employability needs through collaboration with Programs & Products and Employability teams.
- Identifies opportunities and strategies to incorporate career-relevancy into writing services.
- Identifies opportunities to improve student’s return on investment by ensuring writing services support academic success.
- Serves as a thought leader for the continuous improvement of writing services for online adult learners.
- Stays engaged with industry trends.
- Coaches, mentors, and assists in the professional development of team members.
- Works cross-functionally with all university stakeholders, including programs and products, faculty, field teams, institutional insights, and operations.
- Other initiatives as assigned.
- Exhibit sound judgment and accountability in making decisions
- Strong networking and active listening skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, and persuasive skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Smartsheet, Slack, Windows and VDI environments etc.)
- Ability to lead and work cross-functionally
- Ability to be proactive, work with urgency, and find efficiencies
- Ability to work under minimal supervision to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks and/or projects, and prioritize duties
- Ability to read, understand, and communicate ACRL Framework for Information Literacy
- Ability to create learning objects to support patron needs, such as LibGuides, tutorials, handouts, videos
- Ability to Springshare products at editor and admin levels
- Ability to collect and analyze data using technology, such as, Qualtrics, Tableau, Power BI, or Excel
- 3+ years’ experience in higher education required
- 3+ years’ experience in teaching adult online learners required
- 3+ years’ experience in writing and/or citation instruction required
- 3+ years’ experience in teacher education or faculty development preferred
- 3+ years’ experience with library functions and processes preferred
- Master’s degree in English, Communications or a related field required
- Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association preferred
- Typical office setting
- Must be able to travel up to 25%.
- Must have flexibility to include schedule adjustments, evening and weekend hours, and/or travel to different locations, as required to provide library services.
- Must have the flexibility to work more than 40 hours per week when business need warrant
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor
- Travel via plane, car, and train is required to perform this job
- Access information using a computer and strong computer skills
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain
- Manage potentially stressful situations in a professional and ethical manner
- Strong mental acuity
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job