The Catholic University of America’s Department of Library and Information Science invites your summer 2016 application for School Library Media (SLM) — due 4/1/2016.
The SLM program is selected by students who wish to work with young people in school libraries of public and private K-12 institutions. Our program offers the following:
- ALA accredited Master of Science in Library and Information Science
- CAEP accredited Teacher Education program
- Online & Weekend Learning (OWL)
- Eligibility for license/endorsement in D.C. and 44 other states/jurisdictions including Virginia
- Part-time, two-year program for working (para) professionals
- SLM Program Advisor: Dr. Sung Un Kim
- SLM Practicum Coordinator: Ms. Nancy Silcox
- ….and so much more!
Those who have completed CUA’s SLM program are eligible for a license/endorsement in DC and – through a reciprocity agreement – in 44 other states and jurisdictions including Virginia and Maryland. Apply as a non-degree student, if you already have a Master’s degree.
The CUA Library and Information Science program offers a variety of courses that focus on school library media services. This summer we’ll be offering the following:
- LSC 849 – Media for Young Adults
- LSC 848 – Media for Children
- LSC 752 – Design and Production of Multimedia
- LSC 644 – Information Literacy and Instruction Design
- LSC 603 – Technical Services
Each student is required to take the four required core courses along with appropriate mid-level and advanced courses if pursing the degree.
Required core courses for all students are:
- LSC 551 Organization of Information
- LSC 553 Information Sources and Services
- LSC 555 Information Systems in Libraries and Information Centers
- LSC 557 Libraries and Information in Society
Students interested in receiving the school library certification are required to take the following electives:
- LSC 603: Technical Services
- LSC 606: Cataloging and Classification
- LSC 731: Media Integration in the Curriculum
- LSC 752: Design and Production of Multimedia for PK-12 Instruction
- LSC 835: Administration of School Library Media Programs
- LSC 848: Media for Children
- LSC 849: Media for Young Adults
- LSC 695B: School Library Media Practicum
- The school library media practicum provides a unique opportunity for students interested in a career in K-12 librarianship to gain professional experience in a school library. For more information about this specialized practicum please visit the School Library Media Practicum site.
All course credits are three (3) credits. Total minimum required credits for graduation is 36 credits (12 courses). Teaching experience may waive the SLM practicum and courses from a previous Master can count for similar required SLM courses. In that case, the SLM requirements can be met with 33 or 30 credits. Students need to consult with the SLM advisor to confirm their study plan.
Are you a member of the Virginia Association of School Librarians (VaASL) or a Virginia resident? Drop by our vendor table to learn more about the SLM program during one of the VaASL Spring Regional Conferences, listed below:
If you miss us at VaASL Spring Regionals, then R.s.v.p. for our March 17 Webinar.
Questions? Visit lis.cua.edu, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 319-5085. We look forward to hearing from you.