The American Revolution Institute of the Society of the Cincinnati, a nonprofit historical and educational organization headquartered at Anderson House in Washington, D.C., seeks a dynamic library professional to manage reader services and outreach for its library, which houses a collection of 50,000+ rare and modern items focused on the era of the American Revolution.
The research services librarian is the primary staff member charged with promoting and managing use of the library collections, on-site and remotely. The research services librarian:
- assists and advises scholars using the library collections, especially the Institute’s fellows and other academic users;
- develops and manages special projects to promote and document the library collections, such as writing articles for the Institute’s publications and website and giving lectures and customized presentation to special groups;
- develops and leads classes on using special collections for research, a hallmark of our library program;
- oversees and manages the digitization of library collections and directs the development of the online Digital Library;
- recruits and supervises the library’s volunteers and interns;
- provides support to the Institute’s broader cultural initiatives, including exhibitions, educational programs, publications and special events; and
- works closely with the Library Director to develop and enhance library programs and services.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent training and experience (knowledge of the history of the American Revolutionary era a plus);
- at least three years of professional experience working with special collections and providing reference support in a library setting
- knowledge of digitization protocols (experience with CONTENTdm a plus);
- excellent interpersonal skills working with staff, volunteers, interns, researchers and other constituents of the library;
- reading knowledge of French or other foreign language; and
- demonstrated organizational skills, ability to work independently and take initiative, and effective writing and public speaking
Salary and Benefits
This is a mid-level position on the professional staff of the Society of the Cincinnati. The current budget allocation for this position is $55,000 per year (negotiable). Excellent benefits include paid annual and sick leave, health insurance, a 401(k) plan, and a monthly commuting stipend.
Send a resume and cover letter, including mention of where you learned about this opening, by email to:
Ellen McCallister Clark
The American Revolution Institute of the Society of the Cincinnati
2118 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008