The University of the District of Columbia is seeking a MLIS student to help support its reference desk, as well as create instructional materials for its website.
The ideal candidate:
- has a passion for helping people and unfaltering patience;
- is able to offer technical assistance to students (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Web, Blackboard and copying and printing support);
- can juggle multiple responsibilities at a time;
- loves learning and helping others learn;
- takes initiative and is not afraid to ask questions;
We are transitioning to Primo as our discover layer over the summer. As part of this process, we will need to update our Libguides, and we want to create video and LibWizard tutorials as asynchronous tools to help students learn Primo (called Search UDC), as well as other information literacy concepts and skills.
Our student population is diverse in every sense of the word and the library combines elements of a university library, a community college library, and even a public library.
The practicum student must commit to 10 hours a week, working on tutorial projects while staffing the reference desk. The hours must take place over two or three different days, with one shift being Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday 3-7 p.m. The other required reference shift will be 3 hours long (9-12 or 12-3) Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, which the remaining hours scheduled at the students discretion.
If the candidate would like exposure to other aspects of academic librarianship, we can discuss adding elements of these to the practicum.
Please email email@example.com if you are interested.