The Reference and Instruction Librarian at the Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library is an important member of the information, instruction, and reference team. This position assists in the provision of information and instructional services to students, staff, and faculty of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Milken Institute School of Public Health, and School of Nursing. Other duties include reference and systematic review consultations, distance education student support, and membership on various library committees. This position reports to the Associate Director for Education, Information and Technology Services.
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. Provides reference and information services to patrons at the reference and instruction desk in the library, and remote reference service points.
2. Performs online database search services and research consultations as requested, including support for systematic and scoping reviews.
3. Participates in and designs formal and informal instruction and orientation programs for students, staff, and faculty, as well as community health patrons.
4. Participates in curricular activities for the three schools served.
5. Serves as an embedded librarian in nursing and public health courses. Acts as a librarian facilitator for the Clinical Skills and Reasoning program in the medical curriculum.
6. Participates in the departmental Library Liaison program providing instruction and informational services to various departments (both academic and clinical).
7. Participates in the provision of educational courses, workshops and seminars for various patron groups within the library throughout the academic year.
8. Contributes to the development and evaluation of web-delivered courses and instructional materials.
9. Provides support to faculty in creating and maintaining courses in Blackboard, as well as other educational technologies that facilitate online and distance education.
10. Creates research guides to support student and faculty educational and research activities.
11. Investigates new technologies and software to support faculty education and research.
12. Contributes to library marketing and communication activities.
13. Participates in orientation and training activities for new reference librarians.
14. Participates in collection development activities for the reference collection and liaison departments.
15. Assists in management of student listservs and library e-mail accounts.
16. Other duties as assigned.
• MLS from an ALA-accredited school or equivalent relevant Masters degree.
• Experience searching biomedical literature and full-text databases including MEDLINE.
• Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Camtasia or equivalent programs.
• Experience with course management software, and development of online instructional modules or tutorials.
• Minimum of 2-3 years experience teaching information literacy skills and providing reference service or 2-3 years providing educational technology support in a library environment.
• Knowledge of Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM), EBM resources, and the research life cycle.
• Experience in providing advanced information services in an academic health sciences library, including assisting with systematic reviews.
• Knowledge of research data management.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all levels of library staff and patrons.
To be considered, applicants should complete an online application and upload a letter of interest and a current CV. Review of applications will begin on 7/23/18 and continue until the position is filled.