The Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington at Mount Vernon seeks an experienced Project Archivist to develop and implement an archival processing plan for the administrative papers and records of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association (MVLA). The incumbent will assist in the planning and arrangement of the collection group, which dates 1850-present, and will devise procedures for the digitization of the collection and the procurement of digitally born materials. By following national standards and best practices, the Project Archivist will create successful access to seventy-five years of archival material, through methods of arrangement, process, description, and preservation.
This is a one year project-based position that is full-time and exempt from overtime, with the possibility for renewal, under the supervision of the Chief Librarian and Archivist.
- Development of an Archival processing plan for the MVLA Administration collection group
- Plan and implement a strategy for digitization and the procurement of digitally born material
- Responsible for the archival process, arrangement, and description of the collection group
- Performs general conservation treatment and recommends best practice for preservation
- Assists in the selection of a publishing platform for archival collections
- MLS or equivalent, or MA Public History • Excellent skills for research, problem solving, writing, and oral communication
- Ability to perform work independently as well as part of an integrated team
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in standard archival principles and practices
- Knowledge of trends in digital preservation, metadata, and archival structure
- Current knowledge of conservation/preservation best practices
- Experience with ArchivesSpace, Archivist Toolkit, or Archon
- Ability to lift a 30 pound box
- Experience organizing large archival collections
- Project management experience • Omeka
Apply here: http://goo.gl/a6i2aZ
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: December 31, 2014
Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.