Part-time opportunity for 2-3 days a week, for 4 month with possible extension.
WBG Library is looking for an entry-level cataloger with experience in library collection maintenance.
The incumbent will be part of the WBG Library team within the department which manages the Library services for the WBG. The WBG Library is part of the Library and Archives of Development (LAD) providing information services to the WBG. The services are provided by three units; the World Bank Group (WBG) Library, the World Bank Archives and the Internal Documents Unit (IDU). This position will based in HQ (Washington, DC). The Librarian will work with all clients (WBG staff), regardless of their location. The Librarian will work under the supervision of the Team Lead for Digital Library Program in HQ.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of race, gender, nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The IT Assistant, Information Management Services (WBG Library, Library Assistant) will assume the following responsibilities:
- Provide copy and original cataloging services for new acquisitions of serials and monographs from internal and external sources, including processing donated materials;
- Receive, check-in and process all periodical subscriptions for immediate display on library shelves;
- Maintain and update journal collection by enforcing retention schedules, update retention schedules and holding records in journal records of all print journals in the Library’s collection;
- Coordinate and liaise with counterparts at the IMF Library for issues related to Integrated Library System (ILS) cataloging and collection management procedures;
- Receive and modify acquisition records of new book orders;
- Perform Inter-Library Loan service for the Library clients;
- Provide timely and quality delivery of documents for Library clients from internal sources;
- Using a variety of sources both fee and non-fee, meet client demands for specific books, articles and other resources upon demand;
- Process requests using OCLC ILL functionality, receives material, contact clients, issue overdue notices, return and claims;
- Provide regular reports on cataloging and ILL activities;
- Perform other acquisitions or library collection maintenance tasks as assigned, including, but not limited to: processing mail, shelf-reading and shelving, discarding, circulation reports.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1 year relevant experience or Associates Degree with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience.
Minimum Years of Relevant Experience: 1 year in functional position or related work experience in a library or complex global business/market research/economics and international development organization.
- Academic or special library experience preferred.
- Knowledge of OCLC and cataloging experience.
- Fluency in spoken and written English a must.
- Ability to expresses thoughts and ideas effectively in oral and written communications.
- Ability to analyze information and draw accurate conclusions, filter information.
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently.
- Organized, agile, persistent, and proactive.
- Language skills outside of English considered a plus.
- Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.