Part-Time Library Assistant Level II at Whitefriars Hall
Summary of Job Responsibilities
This job description provides a variety of general clerical duties within the library in technical and /or public services to assist patrons and with daily operational needs of the library such as processing, circulation, and shelving library materials, as well as special projects. It is not designed to contain an exhaustive listing of activities and responsibilities required of the employee.
At the direction of the Prior of Whitefriars Hall the librarian is required to perform other library related duties as assigned.
Employee will have a variety of duties.
Examples of Duties
- Provides a full range of circulation services, including patron registration and transactions; explaining to patrons how to use the card catalog
- Notifies patrons by phone or email regarding materials waiting for them and materials overdue or
- Maintains the catalogue.
- Performs pre-cataloging and cataloging tasks within one or more specific languages (using Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress systems).
- Maintains statistics and returns materials to shelves and keeping stacks in
- Makes recommendations related to improving procedures (e.g. how to transition and implement an electronic ILS for the collection).
- Participates in institutional staff
- Works on special
- Performs other duties as Special Working Conditions
Work is performed primarily in a library environment while sitting at the office desk. Physical exertion may include the requirement to lift office supplies and library materials from overhead to floor. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation are essential to read, sort and shelve library materials and maintain patron and cataloguing records.
Desired knowledge. experience. and qualifications:
Although no formal library experience is required, applicants should have at least a basic understanding of libraries, how to find materials in the catalogue, how to find books by call numbers, general computer skills (Microsoft Office, basic internet searching, etc), and a pleasant, helpful attitude. They must exhibit a willingness to serve and support the mission of Whitefriars Hall. Customer service experience is preferred.
Send resume and letter of introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond.