The intern for the National Geographic Library will gain valuable work experience, see how a small, non-profit special library operates, and participate behind the scenes at one of the world’s most respected and recognized organizations. The NG Library serves the staff at National Geographic, and maintains electronic resources, book, periodical, map, and rare book collections.
Principal Learning Responsibilities
- Learn to curate digital resources and enhance digital collections (25%)
- Gain exposure to collection management and development in a special library setting, including the resource evaluation and weeding processes (25%)
- Gain experience in the organization and classification of rare book and map collections (20%)
- Improve research and writing skills by investigating and documenting topics related to National Geographic and its history (20%)
- Create training or marketing materials and/or programming for library outreach (10%)
Related Field of Study Required
Applicant should be currently pursuing an MLS or related graduate level work in library science, knowledge management, archival processing/cataloging, archival management or a related field.
Previous internship experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Ability to work well with others and independently as needed
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication, organizational and creative writing skills – clear and concise writing required
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google apps
- Familiarity with digital libraries / digital collections. Preferred experience includes Springshare Libguides, library ILS systems, database searching, HTML, MARC cataloging
- Enthusiasm and an interest in the Society’s mission, products, and events
Cover letter is required. Please submit cover letter with your resume.
Student must be enrolled in a US based accredited college or university.
All applications must be submitted by 3/15/19 – Offers will go out by March 29, 2019.
Start Date: 6/3/19 (no exceptions)
End Date: 8/9/19