The mission of the Chevy Chase Historical Society is to collect, record, interpret and share materials relating to the history of Chevy Chase, Maryland, one of America’s first streetcar suburbs. The organization provides resources for historical research and sponsors a variety of programs and activities to foster knowledge and appreciation of the community’s history.
CCHS interns will preserve, catalog, and maintain the collection of maps, photographs, documents, artifacts, and books that are housed in the Historical Society’s Archive and Research Center at 8401 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 1010, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815. The intern will have the opportunity to assist the Director with many aspects of managing archival collections as well as assist patrons with research.
Archives Internship Description :The intern will work with the Director to learn and perform the following activities:
- Archive inventory: Assist Director to perform a complete collection inventory and rehouse materials as necessary; intern will receive training in PastPerfect museum collection software to update database records.
- Cataloging: Accession, arrange, describe, and digitize new materials using PastPerfect.
- Other projects may include updating the website and assisting patrons with research requests.
- Must be currently enrolled in a undergraduate or graduate program
- Highly organized with close attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of basic collections care and archival practices a plus
- Knowledge of PastPerfect software a plus
Internship Compensation & Duration
- $15 per hour
- June – August 2019
- Must be able to commit to 10 hours per week
Free parking is available and the Center is also accessible via transportation using the Metro Red Line to Bethesda and a transfer to a building shuttle.
To apply, email Beth Huffer, Director, CCHS Archive and Research Center, at email@example.com with a cover letter explaining your interest in the internship and your resume. Once applications are reviewed, applicants selected for potential internships will be asked to interview with the Director.