The Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery seeks an Archivist for our Special Collections department. This permanent status-eligible full-time, non-tenure track library faculty position at the rank of Librarian I reports to the Curator & Head of Special Collections and will work closely with the Special Collections Librarian and the Reference and Instruction Archivist.
– Processes archival and photography collections according to department and professional standards.
– Creates finding aids compliant with archival metadata standards.
– Coordinates creation of cataloging records with Technical Services.
– Collaborates in developing and documenting new archival procedures and updating existing guidelines and procedures.
– Manages the long and short term planning for processing collections.
– Works directly with campus departments to coordinate the development, management, and use of the University Archives records collections.
– Provides consultations, workshops, and training to campus departments for managing print and electronic records.
– Coordinates transfers to University Archives, updates descriptive records, builds partnerships with campus departments and committees.
– Works closely with Alumni Affairs.
– Conducts archival reference, outreach, and instruction.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
– At the time of appointment, an ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Archives or Library/Information Science with an emphasis on formal archival education and training, OR a Master’s degree in history, American Studies, or other relevant discipline, with experience in archives, archival course work, or archival certificate. Early career archivists encouraged to apply.
– One year of experience working in an archives, special collections, or comparable setting (may include as an intern, volunteer, or student worker).
– Familiarity with EAD, DACS, and other archival standards. Excellent computer skills, including experience with a collection management system such as ArchivesSpace or PastPerfect.
– Physical ability to lift archival boxes weighing up to 40 pounds and to push a loaded cart weighing up to 200 pounds.
– At least six months of archival processing experience.
– Demonstrated ability and initiative in reference, outreach, and instruction.
– Demonstrated knowledge of creating and managing digital content.
– Supervisory and project management experience.