The Prince George’s County Memorial Library System (PGCMLS) is searching for a professional Administrative Assistant to provide support to our Chief Operating Officer for Support Services. Candidates must possess exceptional organizational, technical, communication skills and experience providing support to senior level staff. We offer excellent benefits, including a LOT of paid time off – almost 3 weeks of annual leave your first year, over 3 weeks of sick leave a year, which you can carry over and can count towards your retirement and 16 other paid days off.
Location: 9601 Capital Lane, Largo, MD 20774.
Hours: Full Time (40 hours/week), Monday – Friday; day shift from 8:30am – 5pm.
Job Summary: Provides a wide range of administrative support duties for Support Services by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and more. Acts as a liaison by transmitting directives and instructions as well as following up on assignment status. Oversees office activities and communicates operating policies and procedures.
(Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Provides administrative support to the Chief Operating Officer for Support Services.
- Coordinates work orders, service repairs, replacement, and inspections.
- Creates E-Requisitions and check requests.
- Coordinates and distributes the purchase of office supply orders.
- Prepares meeting minutes, correspondences, letters, and memorandums; proofreads documents as needed.
- Submits monthly Branch Incident Reports.
- Creates and maintains office files and department records appropriately.
- Performs routine data entry as needed.
- Coordinates planning for department meetings.
- Serves as a liaison for internal and external clients to ensure administrative functions are performed in a timely manner.
- Serves as front desk support (e.g. answers phones and greets public) and provides assistance to library customers.
- Updates and maintains web site as needed.
- Trains new staff as needed.
- Attends meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Core Library Competencies:
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Continuous Learning – seeks out and assumes responsibility for learning and development opportunities that benefit self and PGCMLS.
- Customer Service – creates a welcoming environment, maintains effective relationships, and uses all available resources to assist customers.
- Communication – understands and applies the library’s mission, vision, and policies, and communicates effectively both within and outside the library system.
- Ethics and Values – treats all with respect and honesty, is a responsible steward of resources, knows and respects customer privacy and confidentiality policies.
- Leadership – willing to try new ideas to achieve the system’s goals, adaptable to change, accountable, keeps PGCMLS’s goals, mission, and customer’s front and center in daily work.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Prince George’s County Memorial Library
- System’s practices, policies and procedures.
- Ability to act as a representative of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s to the public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and meet multiple and varying deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and with internal/external customers.
- High attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google software, electronic databases, e-mail, and internet navigation.
- Working knowledge of office equipment and security systems.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree or better in business administration or related field.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience providing administrative support to senior or executive level staff.
- Experience working in a library setting welcomed.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting which provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other materials (up to 20 pounds) may be required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations.
How to Apply: Candidates should submit 1) an online application, 2) list of professional references, 3) a cover letter (summarizing why you are interested and the skills and abilities you possess that will enable you to succeed in this position; 4) resume and 5) complete our pre-employment skills test by 11:59pm, Thursday, July 26, 2018. Click on the link below to get started or visit our website at https://ww1.pgcmls.info/website/employment-1297. To be linked directly to the job announcement click here. Immediate hire for the best candidate!