Charles County Public Library is a seeking qualified and experienced Branch Manager to coordinate the day-to-day operations and delivery of programs and services of a small branch library; plans; supervises and develops staff; works closely with other Branch Managers for system-wide strategic planning; acts as a Director or Assistant Director as required.
1. Establishes priorities and work schedules for effective utilization of branch staff.
2. Recommends for hire, trains, supervises, coaches and evaluates branch staff.
3. Plans and supervises collection development of branch to ensure collections meet community needs.
4. Analyzes reports, timesheets and branch statistics.
5. Assists customers with a consistently high level of customer service.
6. Handles all funds collected and deposited in the branch.
7. Recommends and implements goals and objectives for the branch.
8. Resolves customer complaints.
9. Communicates and interprets library policies, procedures and rules.
10. Communicates administrative information and decisions to branch staff.
11. Oversees the branch budgets for materials and staff.
12. Participates in developing and implementing short- and long-range strategic plans for the library.
13. Manages special projects as needed.
14. Oversees and coordinates branch security guards.
15. Oversees programming in the branch and assists as needed.
16. Cultivates and maintains relationships with a variety of external library partners and community organizations.
17. Professionally represents the library at community and organizational events that further the Library’s missions and goals.
18. Fulfills continuing education requirements and stays current with library developments.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. MLS degree from ALA accredited library school or BA and coursework towards an MLS
degree to be completed within five years.
2. Three years related experience and increasingly responsible positions in a public library including two years supervisory experience.
3. State of Maryland Certification as Professional Librarian within eighteen months of hire.
4. Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Charles County Public Library’s policies and procedures.
5. Ability to act as a representative of Charles County Public Library’s to the public.
6. Thorough knowledge of the library’s integrated library system.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of reference and reader’s advisory procedures.
8. Effective communication and decision-making skills with strong customer focus.
9. Ability to keep all relevant parties informed of all major issues and to recommend changes as appropriate.
10. Demonstrates strong management and leadership skills.
11. Demonstrates sound judgment when making decisions.
12. Knowledge of the library’s collections.
13. Knowledge of effective supervision and development strategies for staff.
14. Ability to operate relevant computer systems, the integrated library system and standard office equipment including cash register and credit card machine, ability to utilize new technology as it relates to the job.
Closing Date: 1/18/2019
Candidates should submit an application, cover letter and resume to the email or physical address below. All information must be submitted by the closing date at 5:00 p.m. via email to email@example.com or inter-office mail to:
Charles County Public Library 2 Garrett Avenue
La Plata, Maryland 20646
ATTN: Human Resources
Note: Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide status updates. Each application is carefully reviewed. If you are selected for a phone or in person interview, you will be contacted directly by the Human Resources Department. Incomplete applications and documents will not be considered.
Charles County Public Library offers a competitive salary and generous benefits including health insurance and retirement plans.