Corestaff Services is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Object Cataloger on a government contract. We are recruiting for a museum or library professional for this project. The location is the suburban Washington, DC area.
This position is part of a team that examines, researches, and describes artifacts, and writes donor biographies and historical summaries for the Museum’s online collections catalog. The work combines historical research and object research to tell the story of the artifact and its owner within the context of the Holocaust and World War II.
- handling, examining, and describing delicate objects of various types
- reviewing and assessing accession and donor documents
- critical analysis of source information and synthesizing complex research
- creating detailed catalog records per project standards and guidelines, and in accordance with Library of Congress and other recognized systems
- writing original biographies and object narratives from institutional files, databases, and other research
- managing time efficiently, working on multiple projects, and following through effectively with all issues and tasks
- working independently and as part of a small, high performance team
- excellent research and record keeping skills
- experience in the handling of delicate artifacts
- experience with collections management and research databases
- consistency and attention to accuracy and detail
- ability to analyze information and complete complex research projects
- strong writing skills and ability to follow editorial and format guidelines
- strong work ethic, with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently
Experience working with museum and/or library collections is essential. Foreign language skills are a plus. Clear, concise writing ability is required. Object handling/description and/or research experience is preferred but not required. B.A. required, M.A. in Museum Studies, History, Art History, or Library Science strongly preferred.
This is a full time contract position with benefits, including ten paid federal holidays, paid vacation and paid sick leave, Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant health insurance and 401(k). There is no company sponsored relocation.
Corestaff Services is a nationwide professional staffing services firm, specializing in administrative/clerical, information technology, library/museum, records management and human resources placements.
Corestaff Services is an Equal Opportunity Employment Employer. People from racial minority groups, veterans and the disabled are strongly encouraged to apply. For consideration email your resume to email@example.com .