The National Gallery of Art Library is seeking applicants for a student assistant position in the Technical Services Department. The primary purpose of this position is to provide support for a wide variety of acquisitions, cataloging, and technical processing activities.
- Unpacking and receiving newly acquired library materials
- Performing bibliographic searching in local and worldwide library networks
- Entering cataloging information using a personal computer
- Producing labels and adding item-level information for cataloged titles
- Assisting with the maintenance of the department’s manual and automated files
- Familiarity with library technical services procedures and basic descriptive cataloging principles
- Familiarity with the operation of personal computer
- An ability to recognize and transcribe detailed bibliographic information
- An ability to type and file accurately
- An ability to work cooperatively with other staff members.
- Familiarity with bibliographic and subject vocabulary in French, German, Italian, or Spanish is desirable.
- Applicants must be registered at least as a half-time student and be able to provide certification of student status, including a current class schedule.
- Work schedules will be determined to accommodate the student’s class schedule and the Library’s work requirements.
- The position is limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session
- Full-time employment is available during semester and summer breaks.
- The incumbent earns sick and annual leave based on the amount of hours worked.
Those interested in this position should send résumés and any inquiries by email to:
Sarah Osborne Bender
Head of Technical Services
National Gallery of Art Library