- This position is located in the Preservation Directorate of Library Services and can be used in the Collections Conservation Section of the Binding and Collections Care Division and in any section of the Conservation Division.
- To assure long-term access to collections, the Library regularly labels, binds, repairs and provides custom protective enclosures for new acquisitions, at-risk materials, and fragile and damaged media in all formats.
- The incumbent works under the direction of the Head, Collections Care Section, or the Head of the Conservation Division Collection Stabilization Section and performs repairs, and constructs housing and protective enclosures for the Library’s collections.
- The salary range indicated reflects the locality pay adjustments for the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan area.
- The incumbent of this position will work a flextime work schedule.
- This is a non-supervisory, bargaining unit position.
- Relocation expenses will not be authorized for the person(s) selected under this vacancy announcement.
- Follows unrelated procedures and methods to support preservation and maintenance functions for collection materials. Uses an automated box-making system to construct custom-fitted enclosures for Library materials from the permanent research collections for which binding, repair, or other physical treatments are inappropriate. Houses collections-level materials by hand using protective enclosures such as folders, envelopes, sleeves, folders, or polyester encapsulations.
- Performs basic repairs to collection materials, such as tipping-in or hinging-in of loose leaves and replacement pages; dry cleaning; tightening hinges; and repairing paper using heat-set tissue or Japanese paper. Humidifies and flattens materials as appropriate and constructs pockets to house material. Conducts treatment in a production environment by batching similar treatments.
- Ensures equipment is in optimum working order. Orders needed supplies; troubleshoots equipment malfunction problems; and refers to service calls when appropriate. Participates in ensuring the safe operation of equipment. Equipment used may include board shears, guillotine ~ cutter, book presses, computers, mounting presses, Velo-bind machines, ultrasonic or heat- ~ welding equipment, box-making machines, fume hood, pressure and spray equipment for deacidification preparation or sewing frames.
- Completes a sequence of detailed routines in searching online databases and entering predetermined bibliographic information as prescribed by the appropriate rules for varying levels of cataloging.
- Applicants must have had progressively responsible experience and training sufficient in scope and quality to furnish them with an acceptable level of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision.
- Knowledge of preservation techniques for library collection materials
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute work within specified deadlines
- Ability to use computerized search tools, databases, or other computer applications.
- Ability to operate and maintain specialized equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively other than in writing.
Open & closing dates: 08/08/2018 to 08/22/2018
Salary: $37,113 to $48,249 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 05
Work schedule: Full-Time – Flexitime.
Appointment type: Permanent – Position
Announcement number: VAR000541
Control number: 507456800