Build your career with CGI by joining a dynamic team of library professionals at the Library of Congress, the nation’s oldest federal cultural institution and the world’s preeminent reservoir of knowledge, providing unparalleled collections and integrated resources to Congress and the American people.
The Library Technician 1 (LT1) will perform a variety of technical tasks in collections management in support of the Asian Division. The Asian Division of the Library of Congress has the world’s largest Asian language collections outside of Asian with more than 3.2 million items. The LT1 will be expected to meet and exceed client expectations for quantity and quality of the work product, and must be able to work well with others and independently to prioritize and complete various daily and ongoing tasks.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
Daily activities may include:
• Perform routine collection management tasks including retrieving, sorting, processing, shelving, and shelf reading collection material
• Support tracking, inventory control, and overall security of the Library’s collections by pin & linking monographs and serials and creating item and summary holdings records in the Library’s integrated library system (ILS)
• Prepare Asian language serial issues for binding
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
• Experience working with Asian language materials including serials in a library setting
• Knowledge and understanding of the Library of Congress classification schedule
• Ability to communicate in English (written and oral)
• Ability to perform work with attention to detail
• Ability to successfully complete background investigation covering criminal, education and employment history
• Experience identifying, creating and updating records in the Voyager ILS Catalog module
• Work schedule of 40 hours a week Monday through Friday, plus evenings and weekends as needed
• The work requires significant physical acumen to shelve, shift, lift, and carry large amounts of materials. The employee must be consistently able to stand, walk, lift, carry, bend, reach, stoop and push/pull heavy carts in order to process, manage, and maintain a very large and complex collection.
• Physical stamina, including the ability to push a fully-loaded book truck containing 300 lbs of material, the ability to lift at least 25 lbs, and the ability to stand for extended periods of time
• Language expertise in Japanese or Korean
• Experience with serial binding preparation and knowledge of ABLE software
For more information and to apply please click here.