Agency: Smithsonian Institution
Job Announcement Number: 16R-SB-301389-DEU-SIL
This position is located within the Research Services, Circulation and Interlibrary Loan branch of the Smithsonian Libraries (SIL). The employee provides basic reference and bibliographic services for Smithsonian Institution curatorial and administrative staff and visiting researchers using art-specific databases and reference materials.
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- Assists in the day-to-day management of the collections; shelves and or supervises shelving of materials; maintains microform files; applies working knowledge of collections by giving input toward collection development.
- Prepares serials and monographs for binding, ensuring that appropriate pieces are available and included, and that materials are properly labeled.
- Provides basic reference and bibliographic services for Smithsonian Institution curatorial and administrative staff and visiting researchers.
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as; providing reference assistance in a research environment, searching bibliographic databases in the field of art and art history, providing interlibrary loan services, circulation duties, and collection development in a library or a museum complex setting.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of standard library operating procedures, policies and rules, and library collection.
- Knowledge of Art and Art History
- Knowledge of online information systems and ability to perform author, title and, when system allows, simple subject searches on DIALOG, OCLC, and Worldcat.
- Knowledge of standard bibliographic and reference tools and techniques.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category – Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category – Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category – Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans’ preference points or apply the “rule of three”, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.