The Library and Research Center Intern will work with the Betty Boyd Dettre Library and Research Center (LRC) staff to provide access to the LRC’s collections and resources. The intern will be expected to work on the reference desk, answering questions when appropriate, and performing basic circulation tasks, along with other duties and projects dependent on availability and applicant skill and potential. Enrollment in a library and information science graduate program, or interest in pursuing advanced degree in library science, strongly preferred.
16 hours per week, minimum. Accommodating schedule.
Responsibilities may include (dependent on intern skill set, interest, and project availability):
- Reference: answer questions in person, by email, and over the phone, positive and professional engagement with patrons
- Circulation of materials to museum staff
- Shelve materials and maintain stacks
- Process books (barcode, label, and add/edit catalog item records)
- File and organize artist file material, and create new artist files as directed
- Copy catalog MARC records and/or metadata creation
- Assist with appraisal, inventory, arrangement, processing, basic preservation, and re-housing of archival institutional records
- Description of archival materials (finding aid revision and creation and archival MARC records)
- Digitization of materials and working with digital asset management
- Write blog posts to highlight recent acquisitions
Preferred Skills & Competencies:
- Interest and experience in library or archives work, and art museums. Course work in related area strongly preferred
- Very strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills and comfort in learning new computer programs and databases
- Strong customer service skills with professional, friendly, and positive demeanor
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in research tools
Please send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.