TITLE: Library Associate I, Detention Center
GRADE: Grade 7 (part time, no benefits)
DATE: 3-3- 17
REPORTS TO: Outreach Services Librarian
Job Summary: Provides customer support and information services to the inmates at the Wicomico County Detention Center
1. Maintains the library book program.
2. Provides assistance using the online and print resources for basic legal information.
3. Provides assistance in obtaining printed copies of materials as needed.
4. Provides formal and informal instruction in use of Library electronic resources,
5. May participate in collection development, materials selection, weeding, displays, and other collection related activities as assigned.
6. Cataloguing of books for the book program.
7. Ability to research legal topics.
8. Participates in professional development opportunities, including workshops, classes, conferences, and online learning resources as available; and
9. Other related duties as necessary. County has the right to determine what services will be provided.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to use and teach use of print and electronic library resources; ability to work with detention center inmates; ability to maintain effective working relationships with staff, ability to work independently and without direct supervision; excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to solve problems, negotiate situations and issues, and make independent judgments and decisions.
Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree or two year’s relevant verifiable experience required
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Position based at Wicomico County Detention Center, reporting to the Deputy Director of Programs and Services. Some travel may be required for continuing education, meetings, community events, and related activities. Light physical effort in the handling of light materials or boxes up to 30 pounds.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.