Library Assistant – (Job 1562)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Library Assistant to work in its Democracy Resource Center. This is an entry-level position on our Knowledge Management team. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Under the supervision of the Manager of the Democracy Resource Center assist with library operations, manage library purchases, add new materials, maintain the print and digital collection of the library, and assist with outreach and marketing initiatives.
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Manager of the Democracy Resource Center assist with library operations – including circulation, inter-library loan services, library orientations, and the DRC’s outside borrowing program
- Under the guidance of the Librarian copy catalog and process all books, reports, and audio/visual materials received by the library including those produced by NED grantees
- Under the guidance of the Librarian process and maintain all print and electronic periodicals received by the library including those produced by NED grantees.
- Under the guidance of the Librarian add new digital publications to the NDRI Digital Library on Democracy, update existing records, and maintain the collection.
- Assist with DRC marketing initiatives by creating and distributing the new books received list and redesign and resume the weekly table of contents service, The DRC Weekly.
- Work with the Manager of the Democracy Resource Center to process and maintain records of library purchases, request review copies of books, and contact vendors to claim missing publications.
- Assist in compiling and sending out daily DRC news service, Democracy Today.
- Provide Nexis news searches covering the MENA region.
- Assist patrons with reference and research service in the Librarian’s absence.
- Knowledge/Experience (formal degree requirements and years of relevant job experience required):
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience working in a library or information center.
- Other Qualifications:
- Experience using databases, preferably OCLC Connexion, OCLC WorldShare Management Service, Omeka.
- Experience with copy cataloging.
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages not necessary but preferred, especially French, Arabic, Chinese.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to set priorities, organize time efficiently, and work independently.
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage effectively multiple projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history and requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and Library Assistant – Job 1562 in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. No phone calls please.