Harford County Public Library operates 11 branches located throughout Harford County. More than 1.6 million visitors use library services and resources each year. In 2018 Harford County Public Library was named one of America’s Star Libraries for the eighth time by Library Journal. It was also the recipient of a 2018 Graphic Design USA American Inhouse Design Award. Looking to serve the community in a highly interactive setting or perhaps just a little less traditional library setting – come check us out.
Application Period: Posted August 29, 2019. Closing Date: September 29, 2019.
Position Summary: Performs a variety of clerical duties related to the circulation of library materials, including but not limited to answering phones and greeting and directing customers, checking materials in and out, registering customers for library cards, providing orientation services and explaining library policies and procedures, maintaining accurate customer accounts; performs other duties as assigned. Meets minimum public service hours as defined by Library Administration.
Work Week: 37.5 hours per week; Work schedule includes day, evening and weekend hours.
- Checks materials in and out;
- Answers phones and greets and directs customers to appropriate areas;
- Registers customers for library cards;
- Provides orientation to library users and explains library policies and procedures;
- Maintains accurate customer accounts;
- Calculates and collects fines and fees, records monies collected, and issues refunds to customers, as appropriate;
- Maintains and files customer requests;
- Maintains accurate daily financial records, including balancing daily, weekly, or monthly reports, as directed;
- Performs physical maintenance of the periodical and newspaper collection by processing, labeling, converting, withdrawing, and filing reports for missing issues;
- Repairs damaged library materials;
- Cleans, re-packs, re-labels, and recycles library materials;
- Informs customers of library activities, rules, and services;
- Assists in promoting special programs and services to encourage greater use of the library;
- Instructs customers and volunteers on the use of library equipment, i.e. copier, TV, VCR, cassette/CD player;
- Operates equipment such as cash register, debit/credit card machines, receipt printers, etc., to carry out customer service responsibilities;
- Prints Pull Item Lists and routes materials to the appropriate branch.
- Serves on committees and participates in workshops, seminars, and training as requested;
- Represents Library at various outreach activities, as needed;
- Notifies Supervisor with suggested ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of personnel and procedures and system-wide goals and objectives;
- Maintains good public relations with the community through contacts with public officials, community leaders, volunteers, Friends of the Library, appropriate school personnel, and the general public;
- Learns new skills and technologies to retain proficiency in areas of expertise;
- Is dependable and punctual;
- Maintains a positive, friendly, and cooperative attitude and provides consistent customer service;
- Upholds all library policies and procedures as defined in Harford County Public Library’s Policies and Procedures Manual;
- Completes time sheet and other necessary forms and reports accurately and in a timely manner;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
In addition to the specific duties and responsibilities of this job, it is the responsibility of every employee to comply with the Harford County Public Library Values statement, customer service guidelines, and all other policies detailed in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.;
- 6 months or more related experience.
- Ability to work day, evening, and weekends hours.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of circulation departmental policies and procedures;
- Ability to learn to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines;
- Ability to learn to maintain and organize library materials;
- Ability to receive and handle monies;
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records;
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; and
- Basic math skills.
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to Supervisor I or Circulation Manager I. Does not regularly supervise other staff. May supervise volunteers.
- Work requires moderate physical effort in the handling of light materials, up to 60 pounds, in a non-strenuous work environment. For example, pushing/pulling of library carts to move library materials within the department, sorting and shelving library materials, and loading and unloading delivery bags.
- Work also involves standing or walking up to 80% of the time.
- Observes safe workplace practices with uncluttered workspace, including office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, proper lifting techniques, and following fire regulations.
- Ability to travel to branch/outside locations, as necessary.