The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, a unique global network of policy research centers, seeks a Library Assistant to join its Library staff. This position will report to the Library Director.
- Coordinating interlibrary lending and borrowing
- Providing circulation and “light reference” assistance
- Opening and distributing postal mail
- Checking in and shelving books and periodicals, filing cards, skimming newly received materials for items by/about staff, compiling a daily list of transcripts available and distributing
- Processing new books acquired, compiling a monthly list of acquisitions
- Taking part in an inventory/weeding/cataloging update project
- Organizing and tagging photographs in archival boxes
- Collaborating closely with other library staff to anticipate and solve problems and to plan actions needed to ensure a high level of service to library patrons/Carnegie researchers, and other duties as assigned.
- Ideal candidate will have experience with OCLC WorldShare and cataloguing modules, possess excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, and be well organized, pay attention to detail, meet deadlines, be able to perform multiple tasks and projects concurrently, and be able to work cooperatively and independently with a willingness to learn new skills, concepts, and tools.
- Candidate must be able to carry up to 25 pounds, bend low and reach high to shelve books, and walk to nearby libraries to pick up/return borrowed books.
- A demonstrated commitment to providing high quality service is essential.
- An interest in international affairs, working knowledge of and skill in searching bibliographical and full-text databases, and experience with EOS International ILS (standard modules) is preferred. Experience with Sharepoint is a plus.
Located in Dupont Circle in Washington, DC, we offer an outstanding benefits package.