Library Assistant, Association of American Medical Colleges – Washington, DC
The AAMC seeks a Library Specialist to support its Reference Center and Archives team. This individual conducts research using scholarly databases, academic journals, and other sources and prepares summaries of findings to AAMC staff. In addition, the specialist will provides timely delivery of information services including document delivery and interlibrary loan.
Responsibilities also include classifying and cataloguing various types of media according to industry best practices and internally-developed standards. The Specialist determines the need for and suggests purchase of additional source materials and information services.
Information Services: Respond to reference requests, primarily via email. Conduct reference interviews, complete secondary research on a variety of topics (particularly leadership, education, diversity, and health sciences) via scholarly databases including Scopus and PubMed, and collate citations for patron use. Develop research guides on the LibGuides platform relating to specific subjects and work teams. Provide instruction to patrons on research tools and Reference Center & Archives services.Technical services
Information servicesCataloguing and Technical Services: Purchase books as requested by Refence Center Director or other staff. Process and copy catalog books using OCLC Connexion and EOS Integrated Library system. Maintain circulating collection including shelf reading and periodic inventories.
Serials Management: Ensure uninterrupted access to institutional and individual journal, database, and ebook subscriptions. Troubleshoot basic technical issues and escalate as necessary. Keep usage statistics and recommend additions or changes to subscriptions. Handle all subscription renewals, vendor contacts, and billing.
Document Delivery & Interlibrary Loan: Fill requests for documents using DOCLINE and OCLC Worldshare. Maintain statistics and handle all internal billing for this service. Assist with copyright permissions requests.
Administrative Duties: Serve as first line of contact for all incoming requests in person and via email and phone. Purchase and complete expense reports. Schedule meetings, instruction sessions, and other events for the Reference Center & Archives. Utilize internal communications to advertise Reference Center & Archives events. Maintain LibGuides website
- Master’s in Library Science or equivalent Strong demonstrated customer service experience required, preferably in a library setting. Two or more years of experience in a library setting.
- Proficiency retrieving information from databases and/orvendors platforms such as PubMed, Ovid, Proquest, Nexis, ERIC, Web of Science Scopus
- Experience managing serials and/or interlibrary loan and document delivery including processing orders and statistical tracking
- Experience using integrated library systems required, circulation experience preferred
- Experience using DOCLINE or OCLC WorldShare preferred
- Experience using research databases such as or similar to PubMed, Proquest, and Nexis required
- Experience handling administrative procedures such as ordering, tracking, reconciling credit cards and other budgetary items required. Workday experience preferred.
- Experience using SharePoint and such aspreferred
- Experience with digital archival documents and databases, particularly CONTENTdm, preferred.
- Strong interest in using, learning and trialing new technologies to optimize library resources
- Ability to quickly pick up and implement new technologies
- Good understanding of library and/or knowledge management practices
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and a willingness to present
- Demonstrated information-seeking interest in particular for learning and investigating new technology applications
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.