Arlington County’s Central Library is seeking a librarian with a passion for programming and exemplary customer service to help shape the future of the Library’s public programming and partnerships.
Specific duties include:
- Working with a system-wide team to plan, create and deliver programming for the new library bookmobile in coordination with programming staff county-wide;
- Working with internal and county partners to create new initiatives and partnerships;
- Building partnerships with area organizations and businesses;
- Managing the library’s volunteer program and coordinating with branch volunteer coordinators; and
- Collecting, collating, and organizing statistics for presentations and reports.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be creative, community-focused, energetic, and possess strong collaboration, leadership;
- Have communication skills and knowledge about current and emerging trends in programming and creating partnerships in public libraries;
- Be a self-starter who can work in a fast-paced and changing work environment; and
- Embrace the Library’s vision of creating a thoughtful, inclusive, and dynamic community where people and ideas connect.
Minimum: Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Science and up to three years of experience serving in a Librarian role that included developing, implementing, coordinating and promoting library programs and services.
Applicants may be hired up to the senior level which requires 3 years, or may be hired at lower levels with 1 year required at entry level and 2 years required at the journey level.
Desirable: Preference will be given to applicants with experience in one or more of the following:
- Delivering innovative programming to a diverse community;
- Coordinating the work of staff members and volunteers; and/or
- Providing customer service, especially with community outreach experience.
Possession of, or ability to obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license from the applicant’s place of residence and the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant’s official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant’s driving record.
Location and work hours: Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street. Full-time, 40 hours per week to include some evening and weekend work. Actual work schedule is determined by the needs of the work location.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached to further present your qualifications, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.